Monday, November 8, 2010

London - Day Two!

Day two was hard to get out of bed...after walking aaaaall day the day before, that 8am alarm and I did not get along. But I got up, made a PB&J sandwich (first PB since Europe, as well) and some coffee, and then Kelly and I headed out to the British Museum.

Here's our hostel. On top of a pub. It was alright...we got what we paid for, but the location was fabulous.


The Queen musical, "We Will Rock You", right outside the underground station.


A telephone booth!!


The British Museum:



I'm not great at museums, especially big ones. But history is better than art, so I was in a little bit better company this day. Still felt like I sped through, but I saw some pretty cool stuff.

Asian artifacts:




This one is a real human skull that's been decorated:


North America/Mexico:



Africa:
Hippo Costume



Fake Rosetta Stone that we could touch:


Ancient Egypt:



Roman/Greek:




Lion from the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World:


Real Rosetta Stone:


From the Parthenon:



More from the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus:



Middle East:



Sorry Dad...Magna Carta was moved to the British Library. Didn't ask about the Beatles Lyrics, but they weren't on the map either, and I assumed they got moved as well, since it has been almost 20 years is what you said, yes? :-\ Bummer.

Then we had HOT DOGS!!!! SO GOOD!!! It's been too long.
And then, because we are girls, of course we went shopping. :-)

Christmas Decorations on Oxford Street:




New Favorite Store. SO CHEAP and cute. Bought a belt and some earrings. Earrings broke in my bag :-(, but luckily we found out there's one in Madrid too!:


Ok, seriously. I laughed at this, and then I appreciated it. Because I would definitely have forgotten.


Kristen and I went on an adventure to Baker Street to find the Beatles store:


Only to also find the Rock n Roll store:

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and Queen's "The Game"


And Sherlock Holmes' "home", museum, and store:





There was a punk music show going on in Notting Hill, so we then went that way to try and catch it...of course we couldn't find it. Ended up freezing our butts off and decided to grab a snack (which ended up being dinner) at a Mexican restaurant (NACHOS!)! Oh, how I miss Mexican food...


After dinner, we went back to the hostel and Kelly and I decided to go out to the Tower of London/Tower Bridge to check it out at night, even though nothing was open. Just to see it all lit up.






This is the London Bridge all lit up:

More Tower Bridge/Tower of London:



Then we decided to go to Covent Garden in hopes of finding her some food (which, BTW, 10 o'clock on a Saturday night, the only thing we could find that was open was McDonalds...WTF, London? Madrid is just getting STARTED at 10pm...even Moscow, Idaho has restaurants open past 10 on weekends!!), and yes, we climbed the stairs:




They were decorating the Christmas Tree!


My first McDonalds since being in Europe...a Smarties McFlurry. YUM.


And that ends day two. One more day!!

1 comment:

  1. I get so bored at museums. Just reaffirming that we would be perfect travel buddies. As if there were any doubt! haha

    ReplyDelete