Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 2 - San Sebastian

We decided to take a day trip to San Sebastian since it was about an hour & a half and 14 Euros away...BEAUTIFUL beach town in Northern Spain. After doing the math, figured out we walked about 10+ kilometres, which killed our legs and feet. I was super exhausted by the end of the day, that's for sure! But totally worth it!!!

Here's a couple pictures from the bus ride:



And we got off the bus and started walking, hoping to hit the beach eventually:







The ocean!!!!!!!!





A BEAUTIFUL carousel we found...I loved the artists that were on the ceiling(?):




A church on the ocean...there was some sort of Iron Man race going on that day:



Austin and I went for Ice Cream. There was an Orange/Melon/Cheese one (took me a few to realize it meant cream cheese, but I was definitely a little caught off guard at first haha):



The statue on top of the big hill in San Sebastian:


We wandered the old area of San Sebastian, came across a plaza (we liked the garbage can filled with alcohol bottles...very Spain lol):





Austin looking at the ocean:


More pictures of the ocean/San Sebastian:




There was a Basque Pride Parade (at least, that's what we think was going on...):




A couple wanted us to take their picture, so we traded them picture takings:


And we saw a train called the "Txu-Txu Train" (the "tx" in the Basque language is pronounced "ch"...so it was the Choo-Choo train!!! BAAAHAHAHA!):


More San Sebastian pics (I'm posting them in order of taking, so these kind of randomly get thrown in lol):








We got hungry, so we stopped for pintxos:


SO MANY restaurants in Spain just have legs (pretty sure it's pig legs) hanging up that they can just carve up when they need a new one:


Yes. They were watching Spongebob (Bob Esponja). And the bartender was cracking us up, he thought it was so funny:


Ocean and houses and more San Sebastian!!!








Oh my LANTA, best thing I've eaten this whole trip...it came out and I was like EFFF I didn't realize it was going to be raw...oh noooo, how did I miss read that!? Luckily, it wasn't raw, just smoked. Salmon and a white fish that I think was called bacalao. SO FREAKING GOOD!!! Plus a glass of white wine, and some bread to mop up the leftover olive oil. Austin got 3 different kinds of croquettas with cheese, jamon, and the same "b" fish. A little overpriced, but totally worth it.



These little girls were keeping us highly entertained during lunch. They were TOTALLY playing taxi!!! It was hilarious!!


A sign up in the plaza:


We went to a bookstore/electronics store, and found these DVDs whose titles just cracked us up:




They had the new Dan Brown book in English, so I bought that for my plane ride/airport time...of course I'm almost done with it, you know how Dan Brown books are...Mom & Dad, I'll definitely be bringing it home so you guys can read it, you'll like it.

On the way back to Bilbao:


That night I did dinner on my own, and I just wandered around Bilbao for a little bit to find something. I stumbled across a Donor Kebab, which is a Turkish chain kind of restaurant in Spain, which one of my roommates had told me was delicious. So I decided to go in there, and holiness was she right!! I got the mixed kebab...they cooked the meat on the things below, scrap off chunks (it was chicken and beef), put it on a bun with lettuce, onions, and tomato. He then put some bbq-looking sauce and some ranch tzaziki sauce on it. SO GOOD!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. ahh san sebastien was my favorite -- you can see our hotel in one of your pics "hotel londres" and according to sal's relatives that plaza used to be used for bull fighting, the numbers on the doors were because they were for viewing the fight

    and ugh bacalao - cured cod - my least fave food from the trip - prob just cause we had it soooo much but the pig legs are the iberico ham - tell me you've been eating it, it's the best

    your pics are amazing, glad you're having fun over there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I think that's what the fish was called; started with a "b" at least. Really flavorful, I liked it, but I can't imagine eating it all the time!

    DEFINITELY eating the ham!! I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring some back to the US...I mean, if they leave them out all day unrefrigerated...maybe it'll be fine in my suitcase...?

    ReplyDelete